Saturday, June 27, 2009

This week was incredible. I worked with an all city youth group this week, which means that I worked with a group that did not go up on the mountain. We spent almost all of our time downtown with street kids. This group was so much fun and they had such compassion; it was a blessing to spend time with them. My 21st birthday was this week and I went out to eat with all of the staff in Boulder- lots of fun! My favorite part of the week was Thursday/Friday. We went camping with the youth group and 9 of our friends who have either lived on the streets or are currently living on the streets. It was such an incredible experience to spend time with so many people who have such different life stories and such different ways of seeing God. It has been really wonderful and very challenging to be around people who see God in such a different way than I do. It has often made me feel uncomfortable, but it is so good for me to be pushed outside the boundaries of my perspective of Christianity. I often think about all of the names of God in the Bible and how I am not able to relate to many of them; the people I have met this summer understand the names of God that I don't. I have learned so much and I can not wait to keep on learning. I do have one request to all of the readers- I beg you to leave the place you grew up, or the place where you are comfortable, and wander into a place where you will be challenged. Go to the dark places of your city, the place where you think nothing good can happen, and take God there. Quit hanging out with only Christians. A light shined in the darkness is so much more effective than a light shined in the daylight. As Francis Chan said so eloquently, "Christians are like manure. When they are all together in a big pile, they stink. When they are spread out, they make things grow. " This is what God commanded.

3 comments:

  1. Love the manure quote. I would like to learn more about the Dry Bones ministry. I have heard about it in the past. I think it is awesome that you are there this summer. Keep up the good work. Enjoy your blog. nathan Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing and beautiful, Madison! I can't wait to see all the ways God will continue working through you!

    You set such a great example for me! Thank you!
    ~Rebecca Schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Madison, I've so enjoyed readinng your blog. I am in awe of the way you get to spend your summer, and I'm thankful that there is a group of people who sees the necessity in building realationshipis with the homeless. It's great to feed them, but they need so much more. I look forward to reading about the rest of your summer, and will keep you and the rest of the interns in my prayers as you continue to let God use you. Jen Farmer

    ReplyDelete